Monday, July 25, 2011

Lucian Freud

I tell you with a heavy heart that one of my biggest inspirations passed away.
Lucian Freud, a British painter, was one of my sole inspirations for pursuing a career in the arts. 
In high school, I started painting. 
My high school art teacher, Mr. Whitehouse, 
encouraged me not only to pursue painting further 
but to research contemporary painters as well. 
This is when I fell in love with Freud's work. 
I remember as a junior checking out Mr. Whitehouse's books, 
rummaging through art book after art book desperate for inspiration. 
Once, I discovered the work of Freud... I was hooked. 
I went home and printed off what seemed like 100 pictures of his work.
After pasting each one into my sketchbook, I sketched and sketched his paintings.
Most of my paintings in high school were modeled after his compositions and style of painting.

He continued to be a source of inspiration, but less so in college
as I drifted away from painting and took to mixed media.
However, he will always be that initial spark to my love for the arts.



He is most well known for painting this portrait of the Queen.
While I cherish this painting for what is symbolizes more than what is represented, 
it is not my personal favorite.


Most of my favorites would be inappropriate to post on this blog 
since they contain a large amount of nudity 
{he primarily paints nude figures} 
but regardless of his subject, his style is so admirable.
I just adore his color palette and thick brush strokes. 
His ability to capture the likeness of a person is breathtaking 
and yet there is something rough about each of his paintings.
To me, it is quite beautiful.

No comments: