Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Student Work: Newspaper Structures + Toothpicks

Before jumping in too deep with my 3D students,
I begin the school year with a series of foundational projects.

These are meant to be experimental by nature,
and to give students an opportunity to discover 
the qualities of dynamic sculptures
through their own experience.

The first challenge I presented to my students was
to activate space while creating an architectural structure
made out of newspaper and masking tape.

The only parameters to the project were:
1. The structure must be made of only newspaper and tape.
2. The structure must be able to encompass all of the members of the group (at the same time).
3. The structure must be visually interesting from all angles.






 


To modify the assignment for my AP students,
I had them create miniature structures made of toothpicks.

 








































No comments: