Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Fine Print


So, I am sure you have all heard of this book, Unbroken.
And while I will admit it is an excellent book and an even better story,
I really didn't enjoy reading it.

It took me over 6 months to trudge through.
I started in June and finished right after Christmas -- 
it is a long book but I am not that slow of a reader.
The story is harsh, and at times, that's an understatement.

I really thought this would be the perfect read for me
since I have always been fascinated by WWII.
However, I completely underestimated my stomach 
when it comes to reading about human brutality.

The story is beautiful... in the end.
It's just getting to the end that is quite an awful experience,
or at least it was for me.

I would recommend this to anyone who has some time to kill
{you probably only need about 2 weeks if you are not a wuss like me}
and can stomach brutally honest descriptions of human suffering.



No comments: