Monday, February 11, 2013

I Made Spaghetti Squash!

I did it!
I made spaghetti squash.

If you have ever made spaghetti squash,
then you know this really isn't an impressive feat.
But, if you are aware of my compelete and utter lack of domesticity,
then you might understand why I am so proud of myself.

One of my very best friends has been gushing over spaghetti squash
and how it is so delicious and easy to make and ya da ya da ya da.
Her and her husband are Paleo,
so I quickly disregarded her passion for the vegetable as silly Paleo-talk.
But with the suddent urge to nest,
I have found myself more interested in food
and spending more time in the kitchen.
It's quite weird and I am sure it will be short-lived,
especially once Greta arrives,
but I am glad that I have discovered the amazingness of spaghetti squash while I am at it.

It was sooooooo easy and seriously delicious.
This is what I did:

I started by pre-heating the oven to 375*.

The hardest part of the whole recipe was cutting the squash in half.
It felt similar to carving a pumpkin.
I wasn't expecting this consistency so I almost gave up at this point
but decided to push through and really get my muscles into it.
Once I sliced it in half,
I documented with a picture because I was proud! ;)


Next, I scraped the seeds with a spoon.
Again, this was similar to carving a pumpkin. 
Not the most pleasant thing in the world
but totally worth it for the end product.


From this point on, things got a lot easier.
I turned the squash halves face down on an aluminum foil covered baking sheet
and let the halves bake at 375* for 50 minutes.


They looked like this when they came out.

The most fun part was making the "spaghetti"
by scraping the sides with a fork.

Once the centers were full with delicious strands of squash,
we scooped it in a big bowl
where we mixed in broccoli, spinach, olive oil, and cheese.

Voila!
Yummy dinner for two!



No comments: