Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Student Work: Narrative Clay Tiles (+ Clay Whistles)

I love comparing student work from years past.
Each year, my students totally surprise me
 with their creativity and unique take on the projects.
Thank heavens, too! -- Otherwise this whole teaching gig
could get a little stale real quick.
 
 
My Art 1's have been working on their narrative clay tiles,
a lesson I teach every year in this course.
 
The lesson is based on the artist David Stabley.
He is a contemporary ceramic artist whose work
depict dream-like narratives.

 
In this assignment, I ask my students to focus on several elements of art,
but the main element is SPACE.

Students create a composition that contains a
FOREGROUND, MIDDLE GROUND, and BACKGROUND.

The subject of the composition is determined by each student but
they were instructed to come up with a personal story
{real-life, make-believe, fantasy, or dream}
to illustrate on their tile.


Students were taught basic ceramic techniques while creating the clay slabs.

Each tile was designed to have relief
{areas that popped out and areas that were indented}
to further empahsize the illusion of SPACE.

After the tiles were fired in the kiln,
students painted their tiles with acrylic house paint.



Here are several examples from this year:
 



 


 

 

 

 
Clay can be challenging to teach due to the extended time
each tile must spend in the kiln while being fired.
To keep my students engaged while their tiles bake,
I gave them the opportunity to create clay whistles.
This is usually met with more enthusiasm by the students
than when they create their tiles
and I just love the end result.
 
 

 

 

 
 


No comments: