Friday, August 2, 2013

EatingShmeating

Since discovering both GG and I have food allergies,
and consequently trudging through an elimination diet
that refrains from beans, corn, dairy, eggs, tomatoes, soy, and a few others,
I have been asked quite a lot, "So, what do you eat?"


In short, I eat a lot of meat, veggies, fruit, potato chips, 
and a whole lot of {dairy-free + soy-free} chocolate covered anything.
I'm not going to lie, it has been quite the adjustment.

While I wish I could say this experience has been enlightening and easy,
it has not.
I am struggling with the restrictiveness, 
the extra effort it takes to prepare meals,
the double/triple checking of every food label,
and the lack of options when dining out.

I miss my comfort foods.
My "normal" diet.
My routine.

And then I get frustrated with myself for having such a negative & selfish attitude.
I feel so blessed to be able to breastfeed Greta. 
Being capable of such a blessing is not lost on me.
I know not everyone is able.
Most days, I approach life with that sort of gratitude in my heart
but some days I wallow in my self-pity.

Either way, here are some meals that we have been enjoying for the past month:
^^^ This salad is delicious! ^^^
In the future, I would add a protein.

^^^ This is my go-to when we are on the go. ^^^
It is super easy, super portable, and super filling.
The cucumbers add just the right amount of crunch to keep things interesting.

^^^ One thing I was absolutely repulsed by while pregnant was pasta, ^^^
but it has happily made a return to my diet.

^^^ Not loving the hazelnuts, ^^^
but everything else about this combo was perfection.

^^^ This combo is yum-o! ^^^

^^^ Burgers are my new obsession! ^^^
Surprisingly, I have not been able to find a bread that works,
so I have been substituting with Trader Joe's flour tortillas.
It's pretty good actually.
Also, quinoa is the bees-knees, y'all.
Costco makes prepared packages that only require a quick zap in the microwave,
and adding pine nuts makes this dish 10x better!



^^^ My most recent adventure. ^^^
I really never thought I would see the day 
when I would eat tuna fish, let alone from the can,
but it wasn't so bad after all.
It's got mad grams of protein and 
thankfully tastes nothing like it smells.
So, cheers!



There you have it ... for now.
This is definitely an evolving process as I discover more allergy-free foods 
and whip up the courage to be creative in the kitchen 
{I bought fig butter and coconut cream yesterday ... we'll see how that goes}.

Thank you to those of you that have been super compassionate and encouraging.
Most notably, thank you Kate for all your advice and positivity.
She is also on an elimination diet due to food sensitivities in her 10-month old daughter.
Her gentle and kind encouragement have been so inspiring 
and definitely kept me afloat through the shock and overwhelmingness in those first weeks.
And, thank you to my hubby, Alex, for being such a trooper with it all.
He has not once complained about the changes in our dinners
or the vast amount of money spent on Enjoy Life chocolate.












No comments: