Saturday, August 31, 2013

Nothing but Nesting

And, the nesting still continues...
 
The other day I felt a strong urge to paint some furniture.
So, I went to Home Depot and purchased my tried and true
Rustoleum Transformations kit in pure white,
sweetly asked Alex to sand two old tables,
and got to work.
 
With Alex's help, we were able to satisfy my nesting craze in two days.
 

^^^ I failed to take a quality before picture, ^^^
but neither tables were too exciting.
{As you can see,
 Greta did most of the hard work.}
 
 
One is a coffee table that has been in Alex's family
since he was a little tyke.
It has the most beautiful lines
but was pretty beat up from the many years of use.
 
 
The other table, Al purchased from a yard sale
when he moved into his own apartment.
We have been using it as a sideboard in our dining room.
 

 



^^^ The first of two coats of bond paint in Pure White.^^^
 
 
 
^^^ After glazing ^^^
and sealing with a protectant coat. 
 
My inital reaction to the glazed layer
was absolute horror and repulsion.
 
F R U S T R A T I O N
overwhelmed me.
 
I think going from crisp white to brown
in an attempt at faux-antiquing with the glaze
really threw me for a loop.



^^^ But once we got the tables inside, ^^^
I slept on it for a night
and decided that I don't love it
but I don't think I hate it either.
 
{I forgot to snap a photo of the coffee table
but it turned out pretty streaky on the tabletop.
That certainly didn't help with my overwhelming
frustration with the situation.}
 
We decided that tables are fine for now,
but if we get another nesting urge we might just
have to redo them in a different color.
 
Any suggestions?
 

1 comment:

Alli said...

I know this suggestion would mean a complete redue of the project, but if you used chalk paint then a wax seal instead it turns out with a nice antiqued look if that's what you're going for :) But I would definitely keep it as is for a while to see if it grows on you. Like you said it could just be the shock of seeing it in a different color.